• Home
  • About
    • Disclaimer
  • Vale Gill Griffith
  • Reunion
    • Other Attendees
  • Can you help?
  • History
    • Malvern Link 1909-1922 >
      • Memories of Malvern
    • Aymestrey Court 1922-1947 >
      • World War II
      • 1920s photos
      • 1930s photos
    • The Asterley Years 1948-1965
    • The Griffith Years 1966-1998
    • Aymestrey Prospectus >
      • 1930s Wardrobe List
  • Events
    • The 50th Anniversary
    • The 80th Party
    • Carols >
      • Carols in the 1980s
    • Bust Up >
      • Bust Up 1929
      • Memories of Bust Up 1950s & 1960s
      • The Bust Up Song
  • People
    • The Asterley family >
      • M. N. Asterley ('Sir')
      • Tief (Edith Mary Coates)
      • Aunt Ness (A.H. Coates)
      • D.A.N. Asterley
      • Jean Asterley (Bates)
    • The Mildmays
    • The Griffith family >
      • D.H. Griffith
      • G.S. Griffith
    • Staff >
      • Staff A-D
      • Staff E-O
      • Staff P-Z
      • Music Teachers
    • Friends of the School
  • Scouting & Camp
    • Camp Timeline >
      • A Substitute for Scouting
    • Scout Camp Standing Orders
    • Early 1940s Camps
    • Camp at Llanfechan
    • Memories of Camp
    • 1961 Camp
    • 1982 Camp
    • Scout Tests
    • Bledffa Campsites
    • Cefn Llys Campsites
    • Llanfechan Campsite
    • Water-break-its-neck Campsite
    • Wolf Cubs
  • Buildings
    • Malvern
    • Crown East Court

  Aymestrey School, Worcester

Aymestrey School Camp Timeline

1933    The first Aymestrey School scout camp was at Bennetts Farm, Bransford.


1934     At Wick Episcopi.  Dan’s first.  
            The Scoutmaster was Mr Campbell

1939    At Wick

Picture
Setting off for camp 1933
__1940    Near gate into Garden Wood.
'For economy's sake we used only our own tent, the Patrols taking it in turn to sleep out, while the rest returned to their dormitories' at 8.30 til 7.30 am

1943    First camp for a full week 'instead of the usual long week-end', 2nd half taken from holidays.  Tents were fetched from Worcester.  See Early 1940s Camps.
Game “Gestapo v Guerillas” reflects the war years.  By 1945 it had become ‘the traditional Gorillas’!

1944    A thunderstorm ‘burst right over us, the very first flash striking an oak tree in the field across the pool’.  Heavy rain caused problems and they all took refuge in the gym where the ‘floor was hard lying but everyone slept’.  3 Old Boys joined the camp for 2 nights.

1946    In the Lower Wood – this time nothing important got wet in the thunderstorms
__
1947    First camp 'we went right away'.  The site was at Llanfechan, owned by Admiral Phillips, on the banks of the River Irfon.  The troop traveled by train to Garth, a journey which took 'nearly five hours and involved two changes’.  This whole exercise tested the finances as the big tents were purchased rather than being borrowed as in the past, and train tickets purchased. 
__
1951    seems to have been the first time Mr Batty’s furniture van was used.  See Camp at Llanfechan.

1954    A new site, at Cefn Llys, in the fields above Stony Dingle pool. 
This year’s catch phrase was ‘Il pleut’.

1956    Dan’s dog Midge went too.
Picture
Scout transport: Patrick Conner
__1957     The camp of nicknames.  For the first time an Old Boy (Philip Coates) went as acting ASM.

1958     The account was written by NOAH, because of ‘the heaviest rain we have ever faced’.  The Cuckoos tent was moved because of ‘a river’ in their tent; and the Eagles tent was just saved from inundation by a large lake.
__
1959    Camp was both hot and wet.

1960    _25 scouts – ‘the largest gathering we have ever had’. ‘only five had been before’.  The landlord Mr Bufton was leaving the farm so there was a possibility this could have been the last camp on this site.  (However they were back at Cefy Llys in 1963)
___
1961    Cwm-y-Gerwyn, (Bleddfa) On the GreenPrice estate (a site presented to the Radnorshire Scouts Association).  This was a site ‘which gave us a satisfactory feeling of remoteness’.  A long drought meant the spring was dry, so water had to be carried a long way.  However a brook, in which two temporary dams were built, provided pools for swimming.  Chris Barnes was unofficial ASM.  Cows caused considerable damage to the camp while out on the long walk; and a dog escaped with a leg of mutton.  A boy from one of the nearby cottages joined in for most of the camp. See John Chandler's account.
_
1962    Water-Break-Its-Neck at Fron or Vron farm – near Llangfihangel-nant-melan.
This camp seems to have been on quite a slope.  See Memories and Water-break-its-Neck Campsite.
__
1963    Cefn Llys in the fields below Stony Dingle.

1966    Paul Baddeley’s third year as unofficial ASM; 26 campers; Adopted by ‘Willum’ a tabby cat.

1967    Andrew Duncan as unofficial ASM.
Peckers tent was let down in the middle of the night by boys from another camp over the hill.
Picture
Willum - Camp cat (Photo: John Richards)
Picture
Swimming 1967 (John Richards)
Picture
Bread and .. (John Richards)
Picture
(John Richards)
__1968    Camp was flooded on the second night – several scouts and sleeping bags returned to Aymestrey to dry out.

1969    Hottest camp since 1951. Charles Leakey, unofficial ASM, built an oven for scones, and a refrigerator
__
1970    Charles Leakey unofficial ASM. 
A lot of minor injuries – ‘an estimated 3 miles … of sticking plaster was used’.

1971     Another hot camp – a stalking game played in place of the short hike. 
Only 16 scouts – ‘our smallest army for a long time’, because many had not passed the relevant tests.
Charles Leakey unofficial ASM.

__1972    John Chandler (teaching at Aymestrey for the year) as unofficial ASM.

1973    Transport in furniture vans no longer allowed – Mr Elt helped with transport. 
The Neuadd well was dry.  Charles Leakey again.

_ 1974    Mr Elt and Mr Tyler helped with transport.  Hugo Tuthill as unofficial ASM. 
Camp ended with a stomach bug.

1975    The wettest camp DAN could remember.  Hugo Tuthill again.
Campsite “a quarter of a mile downstream” from the usual field near Cwm farm, from where water was obtained.

1976    19 scouts. Mrs Green-Price helped with transport.  Hugo Tuthill, unofficial ASM, lent a lorry. 

1977    DAN’s last camp and last time at Cefn Llys.  Transport by Mrs Manning’s Range-Rover and Edward Weaving’s (unofficial ASM) mini-bus.
_
1978    Presteigne (Bywater’s Farm)  5 campers with Mr Cash. 

1979    At the Green-Price farm “Hivron,” Near Bleddfa. Assisted with farm duties, including haymaking.  Mr May & Mr Courtenay as guests.
_
1980    Mr Trow, Mr Nelson, Mr Edmonds helped with transport.  7 campers plus Mr Cash.  ‘Wide’ games were played.

1981    Camped further downstream – longer walk for the water carriers.   Helped on the farm.

1982    See Tim Prince's account 1982 Camp
_
1984    Green Price farm again, but a new site on the main farm.  A wet camp. 

1988    Wet – the ‘ancient’ tents leaked.

1992    Last time at the Green-Price farm

1993    Clifton upon Teme.  Walked to “Brown’s Farm”where they camped one night,  then hiked to “Marriott’s Farm” near Bromyard for the next night, then back to Aymestrey. Led by Mr Goodyear

1994    Mr and Mrs Brown (Sutton Court near Tenbury Wells.)  One boy broke his wrist.
     
1995   Mr and Mrs Brown (Sutton Court near Tenbury Wells.)

1998   In the Forest of Dean.  Bike riding/orienteering/caving at Symonds Yat.  Led by Mr Busby.


This website and its content is copyright © Pippa Griffith 2011-2018 All rights reserved.