• Home
  • About
    • Disclaimer
  • Vale Gill Griffith
  • Reunion
    • Other Attendees
  • Can you help?
  • History
    • Malvern Link 1909-1922 >
      • Memories of Malvern
    • Aymestrey Court 1922-1947 >
      • World War II
      • 1920s photos
      • 1930s photos
    • The Asterley Years 1948-1965
    • The Griffith Years 1966-1998
    • Aymestrey Prospectus >
      • 1930s Wardrobe List
  • Events
    • The 50th Anniversary
    • The 80th Party
    • Carols >
      • Carols in the 1980s
    • Bust Up >
      • Bust Up 1929
      • Memories of Bust Up 1950s & 1960s
      • The Bust Up Song
  • People
    • The Asterley family >
      • M. N. Asterley ('Sir')
      • Tief (Edith Mary Coates)
      • Aunt Ness (A.H. Coates)
      • D.A.N. Asterley
      • Jean Asterley (Bates)
    • The Mildmays
    • The Griffith family >
      • D.H. Griffith
      • G.S. Griffith
    • Staff >
      • Staff A-D
      • Staff E-O
      • Staff P-Z
      • Music Teachers
    • Friends of the School
  • Scouting & Camp
    • Camp Timeline >
      • A Substitute for Scouting
    • Scout Camp Standing Orders
    • Early 1940s Camps
    • Camp at Llanfechan
    • Memories of Camp
    • 1961 Camp
    • 1982 Camp
    • Scout Tests
    • Bledffa Campsites
    • Cefn Llys Campsites
    • Llanfechan Campsite
    • Water-break-its-neck Campsite
    • Wolf Cubs
  • Buildings
    • Malvern
    • Crown East Court

  Aymestrey School, Worcester

_The Malvern Years 1909-1922  (Aymestrey House) 

Aymestrey House opened its doors in September 1909, in Malvern Link, on Worcester Road, just up the hill from the station.  There were 6 boys (Ben Bassett, Richard Colley, John Hind, Ian MacGregor, John Mitchell Withers, and Kenneth Riddell), all from Yorkshire, where ‘Sir’ (Maurice Nightingale Asterley) had started another school in Sheffield 5 years earlier.  (One of the houses at that school, Birkdale, is still called Asterley). 

Aymestrey House got its name from the village of Aymestrey, where Sir met ‘Tief’ (Edith Mary Coates).  They married in 1905 and DAN (Duncan Alfred Nightingale Asterley) was born in May 1909, just before the move from Sheffield to Malvern.

Picture
Dan, with Joseph and John Eyton Coates (Courtesy of John and Carol Coates)


In October 1909 numbers increased by 2, as Tief’s nephews Joseph (6½) and John Eyton Coates (4) joined the household.  Joseph joined the school, but as John Eyton was too young he joined Dan in the nursery.  John Eyton Coates remained closely involved with the school until it closed.

For Joseph Coates' memories of Malvern, click here.


Picture
Joseph and John Eyton Coates at Aymestrey House. (Courtesy of John and Carol Coates)
Picture
Aymestrey House 1910 (Courtesy of John and Carol Coates)
_The first match, in February 1910, was a seven-a-side game because there were only 9 boys in the school and two of those were Dan and John Eyton!

Numbers increased slowly - in 1911 there were eleven boarders, an assistant schoolmaster (Mr Snowden), and sisters Ethel and Margaret Barnesby as school Matron and nanny to Dan and John Eyton.  Ethel, also known as Miss E, Miss Ethel, or Tettie, stayed with the school as Matron until she retired in 1946.


_
The Eton Collar was worn on Sundays – this continued until 1938. 

The traditions of “Bust Up” at Christmas and camp in the summer started at Malvern. 

The boys belonged to the 4th Malvern Link Scout Troup.
Picture
Aymestrey House, 1911
Picture
Aymestrey House 1913

In 1919 it was found possible to have a cricket match between ‘Relations’ and the rest of the school which numbered just over 30 in those days.  The ‘Relations” included Mr & Mrs Asterley and Dan, Stokes, Sergeantson, Noel Sharp, Eyton Coates, and myself – quite a team!” Alfred Morcom OAA1919-1924

The December magazine of 1920 reported on blackberrying in Cowleigh Wood.  Picnics and outings were an important part of school life and the custom was that the July term finished with a picnic on British Camp.  But in 1920 the combination of a wet July and a measles epidemic meant there were only 2 picnics! 

The Aymestrey Magazine started in July 1920, and for the first 10 years it was produced three times a year.   Early editions were produced for sale.

The June picnic of 1920 at British Camp involved a trip in the “Yellow Peril” ‘Woodyatt’s sumptuous Yellow Motor Char-a-banc, with a Jacob’s ladder arrangement of seats.  Very comfy ! and very thrilling !’
By 1922 the school had 35 pupils and had outgrown the house, prompting the move to much larger premises – Crown East Court – just west of Worcester. 

This website and its content is copyright © Pippa Griffith 2011-2018 All rights reserved.